Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Political Implications of Arizona's Immigration Bill

Note: I wrote the majority of this post last night around 2AM on my iPhone while I was in bed. Then, this afternoon I saw the following tweet from Fox News:

"Rallying Cry: Dems using Arizona immigration law to drum up support for federal action http://fxn.ws/debI2G"

The concern seemed fairly obvious to me - but appeared to be lost on many conservatives, which I found disappointing.

Anyway, without further adieu - the actual post:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My rather libertarian concerns about Arizona's recently passed immigration bill potentially creating police state conditions aside, I have some pretty major, and I fear legitimate, concerns about the bill's national political implications on both the federal amnesty agenda and the conservative 10th amendment movement.

A lot of conservatives are excited about this bill - and on the surface I can understand why; the claim is that finally, the problem of illegal immigration will be curbed in Arizona, because the laws will actually be enforced. (Sidenote: Endless enforcement of bad laws that don't address the actual issue won't help a thing. The root of the problem is the language in the 14th amendment that creates the incentive to have "anchor babies"- but that's an entirely different discussion).

While I agree that illegal immigration is a problem and that laws, insofar as they exist, should be enforced (or changed), I don't think it's worth creating a police state that has the potential to result in more lawsuits than meaningful deportations - or arrests; (in which case don't bother; they should be sent back to their home country, not be allowed to live off US taxpayer's money). I fear that conservatives; desperate for any perceived "crackdown" on illegals, are willing to support any measure that claims to do so without thinking through the logical (or for that matter, political) implications of the policy.

.... But, like I said, the political implications are what I want to discuss, and I believe they are twofold:



#1: The bill will have provide a rallying cry for leftists looking to pursue an agenda of national of amnesty, and will give them a perceived legitimate (though misguided) reason to claim racism.

#2: I worry about the bill's negative impact on the 10th amendment movement at large; especially because it has been gaining legitimate steam in response to the recent passage of the "health care" bill. In this instance, however, the issue of immigration enforcement is the federal government's constitutional duty. I worry that if conservatives arbitrarily support any state action that makes a move they consider favorable on a pet policy issue without considering the wider impact on federalism, that we'll ultimately hurt our own cause.

To further address my first point: It's a widely known fact that some on the far-left choose to wrongfully play the race card in an effort to squash any dissent toward agendas they advocate for. We see it all of the time - a glaring example, of course, being absurd claims that paint the Tea Party movement as racist (as if there's some sort of logical connection between advocating for limited government yet simultaneously supporting government backed suppression of minorities).

I've always been an outspoken advocate against the left's "Boy Who Cried Wolf" policy toward screaming "RACIST!" in response to any disagreement, as it (besides being endlessly frusturating and disturbingly ignorant) takes away from substantive debate and leads to playground politics. When discussion digresses to that level, the conversation may as well end with one participant calling the other a poopie face. But more than the issue of uncivilized, meaningless ad hominem attacks, my concern is the devaluing of a legitimate potential for government abuses leading to racism.

...And frankly, in this instance, I do fear the potential for actual racism. Unfortunately though, this legitimate concern has been undermined by the fact that "racism" has been the reply to everything conservatives have advocated, when a healthy 99% of the time, I'm sure that's not the case. And to be very clear, I don't think that's the intent with this bill either. The policy, however, gives law enforcement the tools to act in a blatantly racist manner should they choose to. Under this bill, cops are able to target anyone they have a "reasonable suspicion" is an illegal immigrant. What, realistically, does that mean? Sure - the cop needs to have a "lawful encounter" first; but there are a trillion excuses in the book for a cop to approach someone; I don't see that as being a real impediment. Doesn't that kind of vague language, in both instances, give the left a more probable excuse to stick conservatives, and worse, state action against the federal government, with racism? Even when that's not the intent? Politically, I think so (even if logically, I think, eh, maybe not).

.... Which leads me to my second point: the potential devaluing of an otherwise legitimate 10th amendment movement. Sadly, as rational people know, there's a major chasm between the reality of politics and logic. However, we exist in reality, and need to make politically pragmatic decisions if we intend on affecting substantive change (a position that gets me in trouble with libertarian purists; an entirely different story for another time).

In my opinion, the whole ordeal sets the state's rights (or, if you prefer, decentralization) movement back, because the claim Arizona is making via the passage of this bill appears to be constitutionally unsound. With the health care debate; specifically the individual mandate, the states have a completely legitimate, constitutionally based reason to fight back. Clearly, in the context of the health care debate, there are problems with the ridiculously broad interpretation of the commerce clause, or worse, general welfare clause, which are the legitimizing forces for the rationale behind the health care mandate. To any advocate of constitutional principles, it's clear that such misguided logic flies in the face of the obvious, enumerated powers the Constitution gives Congress; not to mention, of course, the 10th amendment. In the instance of the immigration bill, however, state's rights advocates happen to not have federalism on their side - and the dangers of being so ideologically inconsistent are clear; the entire movement for decentralization could be put in jeopardy.

Nothing bothers me more than conservatives who lose all sense of ideological consistency when it comes to their pet projects, and start making emotional appeals for the government to "DO SOMETHING", just as liberals are famous for. We, as advocates for limited government and the rule of law, talk about federalism and how the states should be empowered when the federal government gets out of hand ... and those claims are based in a principled understanding of federalism. Conservatives who claim to respect the rule of law can't just ignore how the Constitution works when their favorite project is affected; if we do that, we run the risk of losing ALL of the debates; health care included.

Section 1 of the 14th amendment clearly states, "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside." That right there is root of the problem. The incentive for illegal immigrants to come into the US is the "anchor baby" clause, coupled, of course, with the problems of the welfare state. In my opinion, if the states want to take any kind of action on immigration, they should make sure to strictly tie public assistance to citizenship; not deal with the issue of enforcement; a federal prerogative.

A state bill empowering law enforcement to create a police state culture that has the potential to unfairly target a certain segment of society - simply to report them to a federal authority that ultimately WON'T enforce the law anyway - is a political and moral risk on many levels that I'm not willing to take; nor should other conservatives. Of course I'm not saying that I think Arizona police officers are going to act in a racist manner (unlike the liberal claim that there's a desire to). What I'm saying is that as a person with libertarian sentiments, I'm naturally weary of government power that could lead to such abuses. Essentially, I need a damn good reason to believe that the use of government force outweighs its hazards. In this instance, I'm unconvinced.

Yes - illegal immigration is a problem. But every arbitrary law that claims to "do something" about it shouldn't be supported at face value. I recognize that conservatives are inclined to support this bill because it's a state action that claims to fix something that the federal government consistently won't - but if the move is very likely to be deemed unconstitutional (and the ultimate power of enforcement still rests with the lackadaisical federal government) then what good does it ultimately do?

Mark my words; politically speaking, this bill will do FAR more harm than good to the overall issue of illegal immigration - not to mention the 10th amendment movement (which claims to be based in principles of federalism; but isn't if it backs this Arizona bill).

What are your thoughts? I'm very much open to the notion that I'm wrong here, and would be interested in any constitutionally sound arguments that legitimize the bill (though I fear they're scarce).

- Corie

8 comments:

  1. I agree, the part that bothered me the most was the ability of law enforcement to play "pick the immigrant". Also, are you trying to say that section 1 of the 14th amendment is a problem? And if so, how do you propose the "anchor baby" situation correct itself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - I am saying that the "anchor baby" clause is a problem, but the issue is that it's written in the Constitution, so therefore, to change it would require an amendment.

    I know it's a difficult issue, because it affects innocent children, etc. I'm not exactly sure to what extent I'd like it changed, etc - that's an entirely different issue to explore.

    However, I think we definitely have to look at what creates the incentives for illegal immigrants to come here - be it the whole "anchor baby" phenomenon, the possibility of receiving public assistance, public schools, etc, etc.

    The purpose of this blog wasn't to provide those solutions (obviously an entire different topic), but more so to show that the current AZ bill is misguided in the actions it allows, and does very little, if anything at all, to actually address the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Corie. If you spent a few days in Tucson or Phoenix (I am not recommending that you do), your perspective on the issue would change so radically that you wouldn't even recognize your own words...written while warm and comfortable in your bed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, I recently did spend a few days in both cities (and loved them), but I wouldn't claim that doing so would give me sufficient perspective to understand the problems Arizona is facing.

    Maybe my point wasn't clear enough, but what I intended to get across was the fact that I AGREE that illegal immigration is a problem. What I DISAGREE with is reactionary, likely unconstitutional action that will actually do more harm than good to the cause of cracking down on the issue.

    Do you disagree with the adverse affects I laid out?

    Also, why do you think this bill is good? Simply because it purports to deal with the issue of illegal immigration? You have to actually look at what the policy will DO - not just accept it because it claims it will accomplish an end you agree with. What makes you think that THIS policy, specifically, will do what you want?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well-argued post. Nice prose. You're 23? Wow. When I was your age I was... well, that's the point, I can't remember what I was doing...

    I agree that the Feds will rule the AZ law unconstitutional. More to the point, the unpleasant reality is the Feds are very likely to assert that virtually each and every action advocated by the 10th Amendment Movement is unconstitutional, no matter what we do or how tactfully we "pay it." Indeed, the more state laws the feds overturn, the more the issue is framed as an overreach by big brother. The typical voter will not understand any nuance beyond this, which, for once, works to our advantage.

    "What makes you think that THIS policy, specifically, will do what you want?"

    Perhaps. But, the question can also be turned around. Let's say this is a bad law, for the sake of argument. What should Arizonans do? At this point, I do say try something, anything, and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bill, your second paragraph presents a very interesting point. I think you're right to say that the average voter won't look at the intricate details of each case the Supreme Court overturns (or even hears) that relates to the balance of power between the federal government and the states. In saying that, you're looking much further ahead than I am - and I think you have a valid point. Also, I fear that you may be correct about the Supreme Court overturning every pro 10th amendment type case. However, I think it's important to consider the unique aspects of the "health care" bill that make it differ from normal 'balance of power' issues: the individual mandate. It's unprecedented for the federal government to use the commerce clause to regulate INACTIVITY; a radical departure from the ALREADY ridiculously broad interpretation the Court has allowed since the New Deal. (Though on an entirely different note, I'm not convinced that an overturning of the mandate is actually a good thing. The leftist politicians will use it as a stepping stone toward single payer because "there's no other choice!")

    But, more to the point, my primary concern at this juncture, as expressed in this piece, is the immediate fate of the 10th amendment movement in political terms; not necessarily related to the outcome of any hypothetical cases (as none currently exist).

    In my libertarian analysis of the state's rights theory at large, I naturally tend to apply less scrutiny to a state action that seeks to lessen government power; and I think from the perspective average activists hold, a similar standard can be applied in terms of what they see as good. The whole populist theme right now that's gaining steam is somewhat of an anti-government notion. I think we lose some people who may be open to the idea of nullification, state's rights etc, when the state level cause we advocate is the state asserting a power rather than seeking to dispel one. Does that inherently mean that a state seeking a power is a bad thing? No, but in the instance of this AZ legislation, with the questions surrounding civil liberties, etc, the 10th amendment movement at large, as it starts to become more mainstream, should move away from legislation like this, and tap into the anti-government, libertarian type energy (which appeals heavily to independent voters; many of whom voted 3rd party or for Obama).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, and Bill, to address your last point:

    "Let's say this is a bad law, for the sake of argument. What should Arizonans do? At this point, I do say try something, anything, and see what happens."

    I'm really not a fan of that mentality. It seems far too liberal for me; the notion that, "Well, the government HAS to do something; even if the result will be bad. It's still better than having done NOTHING!"

    To me, that sounds like an arbitrary, emotion based argument. Why is 'something' better than 'nothing'? In my opinion, the burden of proof as to why a certain policy is worth implementing rests with the person advocating government action. Just 'trying' something isn't a good thing when it involves government. (Though admittedly, insofar as policies are going to be tested, I'd rather that occur on the state level. After all, the founders did envision our states as "laboratories").

    ReplyDelete
  8. "To me, that sounds like an arbitrary, emotion based argument. Why is 'something' better than 'nothing'? In my opinion, the burden of proof as to why a certain policy is worth implementing rests with the person advocating government action. Just 'trying' something isn't a good thing when it involves government."

    Why? Well, because we've already embraced government inaction (see U.S. History circa 1970-present). Inaction has transformed California into a Statist paradise in your lifetime. Put another way, how's the Liberty movement looking in California these days? What are the odds a non-Statist is elected to any statewide office in California in the foreseeable future? I'll take the under on that wager.

    Thus, the paradox: Arizona, home of Barry Goldwater, will be lost to the conservative/libertarian movement forever, a la California, if it waits for the federal government to act.

    ReplyDelete