Saturday, April 24, 2010

First Post

It strikes me as strange that I've never actually had a real blog before. (Unless of course you count my late high school, early college MySpace days when I wrote poetry and lamented about my emotional state. OR, if you go WAY back and count my Open Diary, which I started in 8th grade; now THAT's amusing stuff).

Anyway, I've posted notes from time to time on facebook, but there's something appealing about having a more universally accessible blog - 'cause you know, sometimes there's only so much you can say on twitter.



I chose the name "Libertarian Feminist", as I think it defines me quite well. Because I've been fortunate enough to be very free in my own life, I often lose touch with the notion that in truth, I'm a feminist; in the original sense of the term. It's unfortunate, because given where I'm from and the experiences I've had (suburbs of Boston - graduating from a women's college in one of the most liberal cities in the nation) - I, like many others, have tended to associate post modern "feminism" - or neo-feminism (which I think aptly describes it) with feminism at large. Frankly, given the history of the term and the need for the kind of action that was taken to obtain equality, I think it's sad that the notion of feminism has been hijacked by a radical - not to mention political - minority.

Anyway, I'm sure there will be more on that (and much, much more later), but I just wanted to write a quick introductory post. Now, it's off to the laundromat to grab my sheets. Being brilliant, I spilled ice tea on my bed this afternoon. Awesome.

- Corie

UPDATE: While the URL of the blog remains blogspot.com/libertarianfeminist.com, I've changed the name to Libertarian Around Conservatives. Conservative Around Libertarians. It's the political views I've chosen on facebook, and people, including me, obviously, love it and tend to identify with the notion. Frankly, I think it's more universally appealing, and I like the look of it.

2 comments:

  1. I recently had the honor and privilege of reviewing one of Corie's statements on the meaning of feminism. Let me be the first to say that this promises to be a philosophically interesting blog.
    --- Jonathan M. Hanen, PhD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you are using the feminist term here. As a stay at home mom for so many years, with my orgiinal goal in life to be none other than that, I've still always considered myself a feminist. Because feminism in its traditiional sense meant the right to choose.

    Whether you choose to stay home with your kids or whether you choose to work outside of the home once you have them is your choice. Either way you can be a feminist.

    ReplyDelete